Set your oven to Broil. Make sure a rack is in the center of the oven.
- Place the onion, herbs and 1 tablespoon of butter in your large smartbowl™. Place the lid on the smartbowl, seal, and press valve to release air. Microwave for about 4 minutes, until onions are fragrant and translucent. The butter will give the onions a light yellow color.
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk to combine, making sure flour is completely dissolved and the onion mixture thickens. Discard the herbs if you like.
- Pour the liquids into the onion mixture and stir. Adjust for seasoning. Place the lid on the smartbowl again, seal, and press valve to release air. Microwave about 4 minutes.
- Seal the lid and let the soup sit while you prepare bowls for serving.
To serve: Set out 2 oven-safe cups. Ladle in soup in to each up. Top with toasted bread slices, then cover the top of each bowl with cheese. Place the bowls on a baking sheet, then place in the oven. *
The cheese should bubble and become golden brown quickly! Use gloves or a dry kitchen towel to remove baking sheet from the oven.
* You may also do this in your large smartbowl to serve- or, if you have a couple of sets, serve soup in the small smartbowls.